FOURTH SUNDAY OF LENT (YEAR A)
WEEK: MARCH 26TH - APRIL 1ST 2017
Jesus spat on the ground, made a paste with the spittle, put this over the eyes of the man blind from birth and said to him, “Go and wash in the Pool of Siloam”. So he went off and washed himself, and came away with his sight restored.
YOUR CHARITABLE PRAYERS are requested for our parishioners and friends, especially those whose names appear below.
SICK or HOUSEBOUND: Joanna; Shirley; Cecilia; Jude Michael Harrison; Sheila McNicholas; Orrell Plummer; Dominic Boardman; Alice Abraham; Michael Francis Douglas; John Ownsworth; Gina Templo; John Walker; Dorothy Fogg; Samantha Deakin; Michael O’Rourke; Doreen Lesyk; Samantha O’Connor; Kathleen Widdop; Gillian Rubio; Catherine Lucey; Marzorie Water; Kevin O’Connor; Mary Hough; John Campbell; Liam Corrigan; Sister Colette Flynn; Emma; Paul & Peter Gartside; Val Baron; Sister Catherine.
LATELY DEAD: John Fogg; Mary Ryan; Salomi Esperitu; Leighton Ashcroft; Leszec Ciborowski; victims of the terrorist attack in London.
ANNIVERSARIES: Michael Street; Sidolyne Chiappi; Mary Fogg; Gerry Sexton; Harry Doran. May they rest in peace.
SUNDAY COLLECTION: Envelopes: £479.41; Loose: £348.76; Total: £828.17.
Thank you all for your continued generosity.
DONATIONS/COLLECTIONS: many thanks for the following donations:
Redecoration Fund: Loose: £100.00; £7.84; £2.27.
Also: £76.15; £25.00; £20.00; £10.00; for CAFOD; £40.00 and £20.00 for the Oldham Food Bank; £1,020.00 for the East African appeal.
- Will all St. Patrick’s Readers and Eucharistic Ministers please complete and return one of the sheets available at the back of church to show their availability over the Easter period (Palm Sunday to Holy Saturday). TODAY (SUNDAY 26TH) IS THE LAST AVAILABLE DATE TO HAND IN YOUR COMPLETED SHEET!)
- Donations for Easter flowers for the sanctuary will be gratefully accepted.
- The Charismatic Prayer Group meets every Friday for Praise and Worship in St Patricks Church from 7.00pm to 9.00pm. Contact: 07970188673. The group will be holding the Stations of the Cross on Friday 31st March & the Penitential Rosary on April 7th in St. Patricks church from 7PM. Everybody is most welcome.
- Please collect your new offertory envelopes from the back of church or the sacristy. Anyone wanting envelopes for the first time, please see Colin Riley. At St Mary's, Jim Patterson or Gerard Dowd will take down details for Colin. Anyone who is a taxpayer can increase the value of their donations by 25% by Gift Aid at no expense to themselves. However, please do not use the new envelopes until April 8th.
- CAFOD Lenten Fast Day. If you wish to donate, please put your offering in an envelope provided at the back of church and hand it into church. The fund will remain open until the end of the season of Lent.
- This last week we received a note of thanks from Oldham Food Bank for our donation from the parish of £715.00. Many thanks for your generosity over the last year both in donations of food and money. These donations are needed just as much as ever but I am sure we will continue to support this local charity with equal if not increased enthusiasm this year too. The Food Bank has now moved from Clegg Street to new premises at The Three Crowns at the top of West Street, near the Bus station.
|Today||10.00am||M. Chiappi & A. Auxtero|
|Next Sunday||10.00am||Gayle & Grace|
EUCHARISTIC MINISTERS AT 10.00AM MASS
CHURCH CLEANING ROTA
|Mary & Francis|
“WHAT’S ON” THIS WEEK
TODAY: is “Laetare” Sunday, so called from the first words of the Introit at Mass, "Laetare Jerusalem" — "Rejoice, O Jerusalem".
ALSO, as announced by Fr. Phil last week, there will be a retiring collection at all Masses today for the CAFOD appeal for the humanitarian crisis in East Africa.
ALSO, the baptism and christening of Godswill Adebisi Anuoluwapo take place during the 10.00am Mass in St. Patrick’s church. We welcome him into our parish community and wish him many future blessings.
TUESDAY: Deanery Lenten Station Mass in Corpus Christi church at 7.30pm. Sr. Rita Lee (Attila the Nun) is unable to preach so Fr. Heakin will be the preacher.
NEXT SUNDAY: the 3s – 11s Children’s Liturgy Group meet during the 10.00am Mass in St. Patrick’s church.
ALSO, there is the annual Parish Lenten Reconciliation Service in St. Mary’s church at 3.00pm
Please see the church notice board for further details of the following:
- Lenten Station Mass in St. Mary of the Angels church, Ashton (formally St. Ann's), on Tuesday 4th April at 7.30pm.
- St. Patrick’s Parish Team meeting at 7.30pm on Thursday 27th April.
- Sacramental Programme: parents’ meeting and children’s lesson at 10.00am in St. Patrick’s Parish House on Saturday 20th May.
- First Holy Communion in St. Patrick’s church during the 10.00am Mass in St. Patrick’s church on Sunday 21st May.
AROUND THE DIOCESE
Wanted Parish Youth Representative(s) – a young adult (18-25 years) who is part of the parish and is passionate and confident about getting young people involved more in the life of the parish and deanery. If you are interested, see your parish priest or contact Lorraine Leonard Diocesan Youth Ministry coordinator by emailing lorraine.leonard@dioceseof salford.org.uk.
ITEMS FROM ST. PATRICK’S PARISH TEAM MEETING HELD IN MARCH
- Holy week & Easter Services:Palm Sunday: St. Patrick’s 10.00am and 6.00pm, St. Mary’s 11.45am.
Holy (Maundy) Thursday: Mass of the Lord’s Supper at St. Patrick’s at 8.00pm.
Good Friday: Liturgy of the Passion – St. Mary’s 12 noon, St. Patrick’s at 3.00pm.
Holy Saturday: Vigil and First Mass of Easter in St. Patrick’s at 8.00pm.
Easter Sunday: St. Patrick’s at 10.00am and 6.00pm, St. Mary’s at 11.45am.
- It was agreed that the names of Eucharistic Ministers chosen for the 10.00am Mass at St. Patrick’s will be published in the newsletter, in a similar way that Readers names already do. David Daka agreed to take responsibility for checking that Ministers are present when their names are on the rota. All ministers should make David aware if they have arranged “cover” for their absence.
- The parish currently has two people attending the diocesan course for catechists. They noted their disappointment with the contents of the course so far.
(to be continued next week)
“SMILE - A - WHILE”
A minister waited in line to have his car filled with gas just before a long holiday weekend. The attendant worked quickly, but there were many cars ahead of him in front of the service station. Finally, the attendant motioned him toward a vacant pump. "Preacher," said the young man, "I'm sorry about the delay. It seems as if everyone waits until the last minute to get ready for a long trip." The minister chuckled, "I know what you mean. It's the same in my business."
For all the times you gently picked me up when I fell down. For all the times you tied my shoes and tucked me into bed, or needed something but put me first instead. For everything we shared, the dreams, the laughter, and the tears, I love you with a “Special Love” that deepens every year.