PALM SUNDAY / PASSION SUNDAY (YEAR A)
WEEK: APRIL 13TH - APRIL 19TH 2014
“Hosanna to the Son of David!
Blessings on him who comes in the name of the Lord!
Hosanna in the highest heavens!”
YOUR CHARITABLE PRAYERS are requested for our parishioners and friends, especially those whose names appear below:
SICK or HOUSEBOUND: Joanna; Shirley; Joan Casey; Cecilia; Jude Michael Harrison; Regina Wisniewski; Seamus Whelan; Catherine McCarthy; Terry Hulley; Luke McSherry; Sheila McNicholas; Pauline Harrison; Mary Egan; Michael McGinn; Robert Tait; Veronica Appleton; Linda Needham; Orrell Plummer; Robert Williams; Roy Wolstenholme; Phil Tomkins; baby Guilfoyle; Margaret Williams; Sheila Brierly; Lucy Thornhall.
LATELY DEAD: Joan Walkden; James Flynn; Carlos Matas; Clementina. ANNIVERSARIES: Mary Dowling; Clelia Barrows; George Brierley; Tony; Eric Emsis; Papa Leon Ngande; Elizabeth A. Taylor; Mary Kovac; Leyton Kiss; Thomas Philip; Mary Kearns.
May they rest in peace.
IN THANKSGIVING FOR: Ngande Inis, Fancois, Nicole & family.
SUNDAY COLLECTION: Envelopes: £687.52; Loose: £298.83; Total: £986.35
Retiring collection for Caritas: £94.39 (making a total of £181.39)
Thank you all for your continued generosity.
DONATIONS/COLLECTIONS: many thanks for the following donations:
Redecoration/Restoration Fund: Loose: £18.82; £12.50; £9.05; £1.00.
Gift Aided: £1.63.
Also, £56.00, £10.00 and £5.00 for CAFOD; £20.00 for Easter altar flowers; £62.31 from the Polish community.
- Many thanks for your very generous recent donations for the Oldham food bank. These have now been despatched – please place future donations in the box at the back of church.
- Will St. Patrick’s Readers and Eucharistic Ministers please collect a copy of the Holy Week / Easter rota from the sacristy after Mass today if you have not already received one.
- Easter flowers: donations towards the cost of flowers to decorate the church at Easter would be most welcome. Please put the donation in an envelope marked “Easter flowers” and hand it in either to the piety shop or the sacristy. The brown Gift Aid envelopes at the back of church can be used by taxpayers.
- There is only one ticket left for the Mass of the Sacred Chrism in Salford Cathedral on Maundy Thursday at 10.30am celebrated by Bishop Brain. Please ask at the piety shop.
- There are free copies of the latest edition of Newman College’s “The Cardinal” magazine at the back of church. Please take one.
- If you are a Catholic aged between 16 and 24 you may be eligible for a grant from the Catenian Association’s Bursary Fund to help with your expenses. Your project must have a clear benefit for others as well as widening your life experience. For full details, eligibility criteria and application form visit www.thecatenians.com and click on Bursary.
|Today||10.00am||D. Daka & L. Nicholls|
|11.30am||P. Marshall & D. Hilton|
|Next Sunday||10.00am||P. Hilton & C. Riley|
CHURCH CLEANING ROTA
This week: Week 3 - Mary & Francis Fernandez and friends (Indian)
Next week: Week 4 - Team 4
“WHAT’S ON” THIS WEEK
TODAY is Palm Sunday / Passion Sunday. The 10.00am Service at St. Patrick’s church will start in the Parish House garden and then the people will process into church with their palms. At St. Mary’s church, Mass will commence at 11.45am.
Readers for the Passion at the 10.00am Mass are T. Nufable and J. Williams.
Readers for the Passion at the 11.45am Mass are P. Marshall & D. Hilton
Readers for the Passion at the 6.00pm Mass are C. Douglas and B. Marley.
GOOD FRIDAY: Readers for the Passion at St. Mary’s are Mr. & Mrs. F. O’Donnell.
Readers for the Passion at St. Patrick’s are P. Hilton & L. Nicholls.
NEXT SUNDAY is Easter Sunday. Mass at St. Mary’s will be at 11.45am.
Please note that there are no Masses at noon at St. Patrick’s on either Maundy Thursday, Good Friday or Holy Saturday and there are no Confessions on Holy Saturday.
Please see the church notice board for further details of the following:
- Sacramental Programme: parents’ meeting & children’s lesson in St. Patrick’s church at 3.30pm on Thursday 1st May.
- 3s – 11s Children’s Liturgy Group meet during the 10.00am Mass on May 4th.
- Sacramental Programme: Confirmation in St. Patrick’s church at 7.00pm on Thursday 8th May.
- Sacramental Programme; parents’ meeting and children’s lesson at 3.30pm in St. Patrick’s church on Thursday 15th May.
- St. Patrick’s Parish Team meeting on Thursday 15th May at 7.30pm.
- Sacramental Programme: First Holy Communion : Mass in St. Patrick’s church at 2.30pm on Sunday 18th May.
- 3s – 11s Children’s Liturgy Group meet during the 10.00am Mass on June 1st.
“BITS and PIECES”
- There is a fundraising concert for the West End Bowling Club on Friday 2nd May commencing at 8.00pm. “An Evening of Lancashire Music and Fun”, featuring Norman Prince (ex Houghton Weavers) and Paul Johnston ex Fivepenny Piece) is at St. Herbert’s Parish Centre, Broadway, Chadderton. Tickets are £12.50 and include meat & potato pie supper, or cheese & onion by arrangement. Tickets are available from Neil Baldwin on 0161 620 3193 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The National Board of Catholic Women is trying to establish a group in the Salford Diocese and invite women to a day of reflection on the letter of Pope Francis: “The Joy of the Gospel” by a member of the CAFOD theology team. It is on Saturday 10th May at St. Sebastian’s Hall, Douglas Green, Salford M6 6ES from 1.00 – 4.30pm. For enquiries call Anne Marie Coppock on 07544 491425.
ITEMS FROM ST. PATRICK’S PARISH TEAM MEETING IN APRIL
- The African group is to be asked if it is able to arrange the church flowers on the Sunday when it is singing. The church will provide the flowers.
- The discussions between the various groups regarding cooperation for social functions are ongoing. A note will appear on future issues of the rota pointing out the necessity of arranging for cover in the event of the Reader/Eucharistic Minister being unable to attend on his/her Sunday.
- In some parishes those who have a red box are provided with a large envelope into which they enter the contents of the box, say every 3 months, the box is then retained for further use and the envelope returned to church. The consensus view was that some people may find this inconvenient and a bit of a nuisance but others may find it more convenient. It was decided to give people the option of either continuing with the existing system or to change to use envelopes. Marie is to check the source of suitable envelopes.
- The morning coffee from the server has been stolen. It is no longer stored there.
“SMILE – A - WHILE”For weeks a six-year old lad kept telling his first-grade teacher about the baby brother or sister that was expected at his house. One day the mother allowed the boy to feel the movements of the unborn child. The six-year old was obviously impressed, but made no comment. Furthermore, he stopped telling his teacher about the impending event.
The teacher finally sat the boy on her lap and said, "Tommy, whatever has become of that baby brother or sister you were expecting at home?" Tommy burst into tears and confessed, "I think Mommy ate it!"